Some formula/ valencies: Aluminum Al3+, Calcium Ca2+, Carbon dioxide gas CO2, Carbonate CO32-, Chloride Cl-, Copper(II) Cu2+, Hydrochloric acid HCl, Hydrogen gas H2, Magnesium Mg2+, Mercury(II) Hg2+, Nitrate NO3-, Oxide O2-, Oxygen gas O2, Silver Ag+, Sulfate SO42-, Sulfuric acid H2SO4, Zinc Zn2+
Write a balanced chemical equation for each of the following reactions in a word processor.
- The burning of magnesium ribbon. A synthesis reaction.
- Aluminium reacts with oxygen from the air.
- Hydrochloric acid and zinc combine to produce hydrogen gas and a salt
- Sulfuric acid and zinc react to produce hydrogen gas and a salt.
- The action of sulfuric acid on calcium carbonate produces a salt and a gas that turns limewater milky.
- The heating of mercuric oxide, HgO causes this compound to decompose into its elements.
- The heating of copper carbonate yields the gas carbon dioxide and another compound. A decomposition reaction.
- The compound in 7. (a black powder) will react with hydrochloric acid to produce a green solution of copper(II) chloride plus water.
- Copper in a solution of silver nitrate will yield metallic silver and a salt. Use copper(II).
- When a solution of silver nitrate comes into contact with a solution of chloride ions from table salt, a white precipitate forms (silver chloride is insoluble in water).